Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Witch hunters of Q Health . . .
















This morning, I'm fuming. A nurse colleague of mine has been through hell for the past three months. She was suspended after a co-worker claimed they'd heard her describe how she'd advised a patient re ways to kill themselves. The co-worker making the claim wasn't even part of the private conversation (which was between my colleague and another nurse). But it seems my colleague had simply said, in a private conversation with another nurse, that there are more pleasant ways to die than drinking yourself to death, or words to that effect (in relation to an alcoholic patient she was very worried about). And anyone who has ever lived with someone dying a slow death through liver disease would probably agree. Talk about Chinese Whispers . . . Well, it seems the powers-that-be were worried enough to ask the patient directly about what my colleague had (or hadn't), said, around the beginning of August this year. And guess what? Seems the patient exonerated my colleague completely of any wrong doing at that time. But no, that wasn't good enough for the witch hunters of Queensland Health. They kept her on suspension for a further eight weeks, and not only that, they actively sought further staff witness statements against her, failed to advise her that they'd spoken to the patient (who had exonerated her), and reported her to the Queensland Nursing Council EVEN THOUGH THEY KNEW SHE WAS INNOCENT. However, my colleague has told me that a certain nurse manager did privately advise her (on one occassion), that she'd make any complaints against her stick, and guess what? This certain nurse manager was in receipt of the information officially exonerating my colleague the entire (further), 8 weeks my colleague went through hell. The key information exonerating my colleague only came to light when the certain nurse manager was on holiday. Now (as I type), I hear my colleague has been fully and officially cleared, and will be returning to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment